Behind The Design: A Romantic & Zen Master Bedroom
The Project: A soft, romantic zen-like master bedroom with touches of glam
The Designer: Audrey Dyer, Classic Designer
The Client: Liz L, co-founder of the , and one of our favorite mom bloggers
Client’s Style: Classic elegance, updated with touches of modern glam
Budget: $1,500 (lean budget - baby expenses!)
- Make the bedroom, which is a big space (13' x 20') with a few awkward angles, feel more like a romantic zen retreat
- Keep most of the existing furniture due to budget reasons but help make the dark traditional-style pieces feel fresher and lighter
- Include favorite colors in the design: greys, taupes... and purple. Didn't think purple and zen could go in the same design? See for yourself...
"I know what I love, but I have such a hard time putting it all together"
NEW FEATURE - 3D RENDERINGS
Want your very own "after" photoshoot? Our photorealistic 3D renderings of your final design allow you to see exactly what your new room would look like before you buy any furniture or accessories - that way, you can see how everything looks together before you shop. Learn more about our new 3D feature.
Photo credit: Liz L, Little List
- With Liz's lean budget, designer Audrey focused on a few key items that would make an impact and pulled together accessories to help finish the look
- Audrey presented Liz with 2 different concepts, each presenting a different take on the elegant romantic and zen look Liz was after:
- Concept 1: Dusty Purple + Soft Ivories, a muted palette with layers of texture, gorgeous art and a modern elegant teardrop chandelier
- Concept 2: Cool, Bright + Graphic , a clean white and plum palette with graphic elements to play against the traditional curved lines of the dark furniture
- Liz loved both concepts but in the end selected concept 1 - she loved how everything looked cohesive without being "matchy-matchy" (her own words)
Designer Audrey’s Top Design Tips:
- I love the room's natural light and high ceilings - the challenge was to make it cozy. Using a wingback headboard and layering a rug on top of the carpet both help to make the large space feel more intimate
- Using a glitzy mirror above the bed and gorgeous teardrop chandelier in front helps to brighten up the whole space by reflecting light throughout the room
- Art in a variety of sizes looks great gallery-style on the wall or stacked in layers on a table to add depth and dimension to the space
Classic elegance not your personal decor style? We have designers who specialize in a range of other styles, including Modern, Eclectic, Hollywood Regency, Traditional, Asian-Inspired, Coastal and more.
Shop This Room:
Z Gallerie Portico Mirror / $299 (mirror in the design is no longer available; this one is similar)
Etsy Plum Velvet Pillow / $80
"Trickle" from Minted / $80
*Prices and availability subject to change