Behind The Design: A Global-Inspired Nursery for a Baby Boy
The Project: A chic, globally-inspired nursery - done in a rush timeline!
The Designer: Melissa Schenck-Thomas
The Client: A busy, well-traveled Southern California couple expecting their first child
Client’s Style: Mid-century modern with global influences
- Transform a nondescript room with dark wood floors into a nursery for a baby boy
- Echo the clean and organic mid-century modern design style prevalent throughout the house, but inject a little fun and whimsy
- We've travelled extensively throughout Africa, especially Morocco, and we'd love to bring in some design elements to get him inspired about seeing the world some day
- Plenty of stylish storage for books and toys would be a !
- Is there any way we can do this under 3 weeks?
Gift a nursery design to a new parent or parent-to-be!
A new nursery design is a great gift to celebrate the arrival of a little one. All our designers can help transform a room into a beautiful nursery in any style and at any budget. Buy a gift today and we'll send out a gift box or gift email on any date you choose.
"The designer nursery you've always wanted" - Project Nursery
Design by Melissa Schenck-Thomas, Decorist Classic designer
Melissa's Design Diary:
- Both concepts are designed with an eye towards what can easily transition well as he grows up - the cribs transition to a toddler bed, the changing tables can function as regular dressers, the lighting and rugs would all look great in an adult space
- Concept 1: Clean & Bright Mid-Century Modern - white and gray palette with pops of turquoise with a fantastic light that echoes tree branches
- Concept 2: Global, Vintage & Found - warm wood and leather, interesting textures, grounded by crisp white
- The client liked elements from both design boards so I pulled from both concepts and the result is a merger of the midcentury look they love with well-traveled touches throughout
- Safari animal accents and tribal-inspired patterns done on a small scale are a subtle way to bring in the global-inspired look without it looking overdone
- The turquoise vintage rug is a great sophisticated pop of color to the space and is a contrast against the cool palette of the rest of the room
- Using multiple open shelves and baskets for storage allows for greater flexibility and is a good alternative to an additional piece of furniture
- Doing this under 3 weeks was tight but the client was such a great collaborative partner and I love how the room turned out... we even came in 1 day early!
Melissa Schenck-Thomas really hit it out of the park with this adorable nursery. And she made sure it was quick, easy and convenient for her client who was in a rush. If you’re interested in working directly with Melissa, you can check out more of her design portfolio or start a project a request Melissa as your designer.
Decorist 3D Rendering
Because of the rushed timeline, we didn't have time to do a 3D rendering for this particular project. We did get a chance to do an actual photoshoot once the room was completed but our new photorealistic 3D rendering technology now allows you to see exactly how the room will look before you shop - it's like your own "after" photoshoot!